It becomes necessary for businesses to employ robust Cloud security management policies to prevent malicious attacks by these cybercriminals. Let’s see how automated IT Security policy monitoring can help enterprises in migrating to and adopting Cloud successfully.
Cloud Security Management
There are a growing number of ‘born-in-cloud’ companies, and there are the ones that are still reluctant to migrate to Cloud. With all business organizations striving to become online today, there are issues of information security management in the Cloud. Managing large servers, storage, and network systems on-premise is not only expensive but also cumbersome when it comes to scalability and agility. The cloud presents the perfect alternative to the above problems. However, the cloud also has its share of problems, as well. Therefore, Cloud security management is of paramount importance as it still remains unchartered territories for many organizations due to the unavailability of skilled developers, cloud, and security architects. The Cloud offers excellent features when it comes to performance, scalability, cost-effectiveness, etc. And hence when it comes to securing your valuable information assets, a capable Cloud security service provider can prove to be your savior in today’s competitive business environment.
The Recent ‘Cloud Hopper’ Attack That Raises The Alarm
Some of the events that took place as recently as December 2019 makes Cloud security that much more critical. Two unknown Chinese hackers penetrated the network systems of various organizations to spy on confidential and sensitive organizational information assets. The hacking campaign was dubbed ‘Cloud Hopper’ by security researchers as the attack had its impact on a wide range of cloud establishments.
Modus Operandi Of The ‘Cloud Hopper’
The malicious ‘Cloud Hopper’ scanned through various networks for security vulnerabilities. Once they found one in the cloud organization’s defenses, they exploited it to jump from one network system to another while stealing Intellectual Property and other data. These incidents still happen despite the cloud service providers and the business organizations investing a lot in installing the latest security solutions.
The cybercriminals used spear-phishing techniques and sent spoof emails to the workers at these cloud organizations. It allowed the criminals to steal the security credentials and conduct a complete survey. After accessing the cloud systems, the hackers managed to locate so-called ‘jump servers’ that allowed them to access different digital networks. The hackers managed this activity so skilfully that it appeared as regular traffic to all. The only way the hackers could have been stopped in their tracks is for the cloud organizations to have a robust automated IT security policy monitoring system in place. Fortunately, Helical Inc. does provide such Cloud security management solutions.
Understanding Cloud Security Management
Cyberattacks have increased in numbers in recent times. Though enterprises are adopting the best security measures to tackle the menace, the hackers keep finding new tactics to penetrate digital networks on a global scale, making cloud security management a difficult task.
In simple terms, Cloud security management represents a broad set of policies, procedures, technologies, applications, and controls to ensure that the cloud is protected from information leakage, damage, and theft. Some of the well-known Cloud security solution providers like Helical Inc. have brilliant product-lines to offer the highest levels of security for your data in the cloud.
Automated IT Security Policy Monitoring– Watching Like a Hawk
Shared infrastructure in the cloud inevitably generates hidden vulnerabilities and risks. Hence, the kind of tricks used by the ‘Cloud Hopper’ campaign needs continuous surveillance by security teams to identify and deal accordingly. Helical Inc. provides various Cloud security solutions, of which the Cloud IT Security Policy Auditing is one. This solution believes in not relying on the cloud to secure itself by default security configuration. Continuous monitoring of the network is necessary to deal with the tactics employed by such cyber adversaries.
Many security solution providers offer automated IT security policy monitoring services to cloud organizations worldwide. However, let’s have a detailed look at the key features organizations should consider before opting for a cloud security management solution, and the reasons why to consider the one Helical Inc. offers:
Cloud Validator Module
Cloud organizations can still get fundamental cyber hygiene wrong, and that is where this advanced Cloud security solution reduces the risk by providing high-quality cloud security management.
- Real-time monitoring of your cloud enables one to identify the nefarious activities by hackers. It also helps to detect unauthorized devices from trying to access the cloud.
- This solution ensures that all your virtual devices follow the best security practices and comply with the organization’s security policies.
- Reporting of the attempts, whether failed or successful, is necessary to ensure fine-tuning of security configurations.
Cloud Security Monitoring Tool
The Cloud security monitoring tool treats the cloud as an extension of an organization’s on-premise network. It provides data-driven insights and customizable alerts by providing the following services.
- Secure configuration – It ensures that the hackers find it challenging to break through the security barrier.
- Vulnerability Scanning – This tool scans the network on a real-time basis to identify threats on time.
- Patch Management – Hackers are improving daily on their skills. Hence, it becomes necessary for network systems to keep up accordingly. An effective patch management program helps to do so.
- Password Security and Authentication – Hackers have managed to access the systems by taking advantage of the vulnerabilities of the employees of cloud enterprises. The tool plugs this gap by improving password security and strengthening authentication processes.
Secure Configuration Monitoring Tool for the Cloud
Getting correct or reliable information about potential data breaches can be challenging for any organization. A security audit of your cloud services can help maintain your systems and reduce Cloud security risks.
- Effective monitoring – This tool monitors and enforces secure configuration policies by complying with international IT security standards like CIS, NIST, and GDPR.
- Real-time alerts – The tool ensures to alert the organization’s IT security teams if it notices any non-compliance of IT security norms. It also provides a comprehensive report on the security configuration IT compliance, as well.
- Supports a range of OS – This Cloud security management tool supports all kinds of OS like Windows, Linux, CentOS, and other operating systems.
- Password policy validation – Frequent changing of passwords is essential to ensure that the cybercriminals do not gain easy access.
Port Monitoring Tool
Apart from exploiting the vulnerabilities of the employees of cloud organizations, hackers can also manipulate ports to gain illegal access. This tool monitors ports, thereby reducing such Cloud security risks.
- This Cloud security management tool detects suspicious IP addresses and ports on a real-time basis to keep your networks safe.
- The tool blacklists spurious sites, thereby denying them access to your information systems. At the same time, it whitelists genuine websites to ensure that you do not miss out on your business activities.
Patch Management Tools
Your applications, operating systems, and networks require regular updates to stay ahead of the cybercriminals all the time. This tool ensures your security system does so by
- Having reliable patch management policies in place that can be customized according to organizational needs.
- Ensuring that patches are made available every time they are needed to authorized users to apply.
- Maintain the complete details of your patch programs such as patch version, installation dates, and the pending or failed patches.
Managing the threats and vulnerabilities of your critical information assets, in-the-cloud, and off-the-cloud is necessary for improved Cloud security management.
- Maintaining the security systems necessitates knowing what your vulnerabilities are. Therefore, managing your vulnerabilities is one of the best ways to enhance your strengths. This tool features an on-going self-service vulnerability management platform.
- The tool analyses its vulnerabilities continuously, depending on the severity of the threats.
- Knowing the source and extent of the vulnerabilities is essential to find out the remedies for it.
- The tool compares the scans of the systems every quarter to get the status of the situation. It helps to manage the remediation status efficiently.
Automated IT security policy monitoring can help you protect the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability of information today and is the key to develop and build the trust among your customers, clients, and other business stakeholders. In this age of digital transformation, it is paramount for the business organizations to take cloud security on top priority. The organizations should take effective and measurable steps for Cloud security management and implement policies and procedures that are relevant to their on-premise information systems as well as to the cloud processing units, networks, and storage, to ensure that incidents like the ‘Cloud hopper’ attack do not take place.